Questions about example sentences with, and the definition and usage of "Despotic"
The meaning of "Despotic" in various phrases and sentences
Q: What does despotic mean?
A: "Despotic" is an adjective used to describe someone who behaves like a despot, a tyrant, a supreme dictator -- someone who rules by fiat [outlaws parties and organizations that disagree with him] and generally behaves in an arbitrary and often cruel manner. For example, Erdogan claims to be democratic, but he is actually a despotic tyrant who brooks no dissent [does not permit people to speak against him or his policies] and rules Turkey with an iron fist [controls every aspect of citizens' lives].
Other questions about "Despotic"
Q: Please show me how to pronounce despotic monarchy.
A: Check the question to view the answer
Meanings and usages of similar words and phrases
HiNative is a platform for users to exchange their knowledge about different languages and cultures. We cannot guarantee that every answer is 100% accurate.
- How do you say this in English (US)? 一緒にデートにいきましょう
- What is the difference between I have only 5 minutes. and I have 5 minutes only ?
- Is this sentence correct? "He was trying to turn a corner but it failed and his motorbike fell o...
- Is this correct?
- What does I was lied mean?
- How do you say this in English (US)? When I am practicing in a Gym with a friend, he is holding o...
- What is the difference between Let's go to the supermarket and Let's go to a supermarket ?
- What does last september of 2020 mean?
- "Which song of Kenken is your favorite?" Hello! Do you think the sentence above sounds natural...
- In a questionnaire, there is a space where a respondent will write if they're male or female. Whi...