24 Dec 2018

  • Japanese
  • English (UK)
  • English (US)
Question about English (UK)

​‎A couple of my online English teachers from England said to me like,

" It's lovely you learn English not American English!"

or like,

"It is great you get to know the difference of language between English and Americans!"


"In English, we wouldn't use that. It's very American."

I mean..
What does this mean?

American English is also called English,isn't it?
and my teachers call british English as " English"
and call English spoken in the States as "Americans" or " American English"
I thought and I believe that both called English.
If they call American English "American English",
for me, British teachers' English is British English,isn't it?

Read more comments

  • English (UK)

  • English (UK) Near fluent
  • Thai

  • English (UK)
  • English (US)

  • English (US)
  • English (UK)

  • English (UK)
[News] Hey you! The one learning a language!

Share this question
Newest Questions
Topic Questions
Recommended Questions