Question
19 Jun 03:23 PM

The below is an excerpt from Thoreau's "Resistance to Civil Government". I am not sure if I understand correctly word meanings and references( from 1) to 10)). Please correct me if I am wrong.

Unjust laws exist: shall we be content to obey them, or shall we endeavor to amend them, and obey them until we have succeeded, or shall we transgress them at once? Men generally, under such a government as this, think that they ought to wait until they have persuaded the majority to alter them. They think that, if they should 1) resist (= break the laws?), 2) the remedy(= to amend the laws?) would be worse than 3)the evil(=the evil of the laws?). But it is the fault of the government itself that the remedy is worse than the evil. 4)It(= the government?) makes 5) it(= the remedy?) worse. Why is it not more apt to anticipate and provide for 6) reform(= remedy/amendment?)? Why does 7) it(=the government?)? not cherish 8)its wise minority(=those who try to amend the laws)? Why does 9)it(= wise minority or the government?) cry and resist before it is hurt? Why does 10) it(= the government?) not encourage its citizens to be on the alert to point out its faults, and do better than it would have them? Why does it always crucify Christ, and excommunicate Copernicus and Luther, and pronounce Washington and Franklin rebels?

Answers