Question
14 Aug 07:05 PM

English (US) English (UK)
Question about United Kingdom

Does Great Britain ever have “snow days”? Maybe you have a different name for inclement weather days when nothing opens. Days when schools and businesses close, or do not open, because of snow or other inclement weather?

MY STORY. In the north of the US, businesses usually close down if we get an enormous amount of snow, like 18 inches or more. But the southern states almost never get snow.
When I was living in San Antonio, Texas, one winter night we had a “freak snowstorm” – we got a half-inch of snow. Nothing opened that morning because no one was prepared to drive in the snow. Of course, essential institutions, like hospitals, had to remain open. I was in the military, and I had to report for duty. But it was funny to me to think of a half-inch of snow effectively shutting down a city of a million people.
Answers

Country or region
United Kingdom

Country or region
United Kingdom