Question
06 Oct 04:40 AM

Q1
What does "the word “inquiry” has become politically toxic for Republicans" (4th paragraph) mean?

Q2
What does " ‘inquiry’ is a special word in the impeachment thesaurus" (last paragraph) mean?

Context>>>>>>>>>>
Here in Nevada, Mr. Amodei, 61, a garrulous former federal prosecutor who led Mr. Trump’s 2016 campaign in Nevada, is choosing his words carefully.

During a candid hourlong conversation that included a tour of his lovingly restored red-and-white Chevy Silverado flatbed truck (model year 1988 — the same year he switched his party registration from Democrat to Republican), he sounded mystified at the uproar he created. He votes with Mr. Trump nearly 99 percent of the time, but described himself as a “process guy” who believes in congressional oversight.

“I just think you have to respect the process,” he said. “I think you need to be transparent, and you need to tell the truth.”

He said he was not a fan of Ms. Pelosi’s process, and said she should have put the inquiry up to a vote of the full House. And he lamented that the word “inquiry” has become politically toxic for Republicans — a lesson he learned after he shared his views with local reporters, one of whom wrote that he backed the House inquiry but was withholding judgment on whether Mr. Trump “crossed the legal line.”

The characterization was accurate, Mr. Amodei said, but it sparked an uproar when news media outlets (including The New York Times) called him the first Republican who had broken ranks to support an impeachment investigation. He quickly recalibrated, issuing a statement making clear he did not support Mr. Trump’s impeachment.

“I now know ‘inquiry’ is a special word in the impeachment thesaurus,” he said wryly, “which I’m still looking for on Amazon, but I haven’t found.”

Answers

Arabic English (US)

Japanese

Arabic English (US)

Japanese

Arabic English (US)