09 Feb 12:17 AM
Question about English (US)
What does "an attack" mean in the sentence "an attack on climate change as almost as dramatic as climate change itself?" Is this Trump's withdrawal from the Convention on Climate Change, or does it mean Greta Thunberg's criticism of those who are not worried about global warming? Or is there any other meaning?
The choice facing Americans is whether we want to be a society organized around money’s thirsts, a playground for the whims of billionaires, or whether we wish to be a democracy. The second Gilded Age will end at some point. The question is what comes next: What Trump offers is tribal nationalism, strongman politics and plutocrat–friendly policy greased by populist rhetoric. The other possibility is that, as occurred a century ago, a gilded age collapses into an age of reform: an era defined culturally by renewed public purpose and politically by the restoration of the state in areas where people are too powerless to solve problems of their own—defined by the use of shared institutions to solve shared problems. You can already see glimpses of how an age of reform is being dreamed up. Higher taxes on the very fortunate, to be sure; more regulation and worker protections and the like. An attack on climate change almost as dramatic as climate change itself. Programs to give workers greater security. It would be an age in which it was cooler, more thrilling, more admired, more viable to change the world democratically.
Read more comments
- They are supposed to end up being 'under attack' all the time. does this sound natural?
- What does describe attack mean?
- What is the difference between attack and assault ?
- It was not...to finish that work before 5 o'clock a, expected b, expecting c, expectative d, expe...
- Does "take responsibility" mean "resign"?
- チョコはあまり好きじゃない あまりチョコは好きじゃない どちらも正しいですか？
- What does 'mid-poop' mean? A woman said "I look mid-poop" after taking a picture of herself at a ...
- 難病だったのに｢全快なさったから｣、これからは～～～～～ください。 難病だったのに｢全快なさったのですから｣、これからは～～～～～ください。 両者のニャアンスの差がありましたら教えて...
- What is the difference between man and men ?
- What is the difference between I miss you. and I missed you ?
- How do you say this in Japanese? go fuck yourself
- What does XXX mean?
- What does Yamete kudasai mean?
- would have had to be have done is that a correct sentence? would a native english speaker say t...
- Does it sound natural or journalism-like? He estimated that the number of infections in Wuhan c...
- Is there another word for "persuasion"? I want to make a sentence like this one : Her persuas...
- "The food contains a lot of nutrition." "The food is nutritious." "You should take more nutriti...
- I want to put more time and energy into learning English. Is it correct?