Question
17 May 03:15 AM

Pasted below is a part of a dialogue between two survivors of sexual assault. Does anybody get the idea the of "a blackout expert" in the conversation?

A: I think in this system, people of color are often demonized or deemed as dangerous, whereas in my case, my perpetrator was very quickly humanized. He was never labeled as a criminal, he was labeled as a young person who had simply lost his way, but this didn't define him, this shouldn't realign the rest of his life. They treated it like this is a temporary lapse in judgment, this is a quick deviation from his behavior, but at the end of the day, he remains a model citizen were it not for his one-time mistake. And that to me is the difference, the labeling of criminality versus excusing in the guise of humanity, you're just a human. We get it, we make mistakes, that sort of empathy that's extended toward him.

B: And not usually to the victims. Money has a lot to do with it as well. If you have a lot of money, you can get away with a lot, even bail. The justice system is set up for rich people.

A: Yeah, I mean, he was held on five felony counts and was released in less than 24 hours.

B: That is so … I'm so sorry.

A: Even hiring a blackout expert for $10,000 to testify in trial. I mean, how do you justify that?

Answers