Question
22 Jun 05:54 PM

In this text, is it grammatically incorrect?

1) original

It is believed that regular breaks during which students can get fresh air and be physically active help them to learn.

2) is 'are' grammatically incorrect?

It is believed that regular breaks during which students can get fresh air and are physically active help them to learn.

Hi, I’m a student learning English as a foreign language.

I feel it’s also possible to use “are“ in above sentence, but my english teachers say that it is not possible because using ‘are’ in the text is contextually incorrect.

So never can ”are” be used, although it doesn’t matter formally -so, using ‘are’ in the sentence is grammatically incorrect because of the context.

I’ve known that using ‘be’ in that sentence instead of ‘are’ is more natural, but I don’t think using ‘are’ cannot be allowed. My teachers’ argument is contextual problem so I attach original text.

I really want to ask native English speakers that in this text ‘are’ is not allowed, and using ‘are’ is too unnatural to use it in the text.

Thank you for reading.
I would really appreciate it if anyone answers my questinon.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
<original text>
What makes Finnish education so good?

If you think the teachers must be very strict, think again! Finnish people believe that we should “let children be children.”

Many Finnish children start to learn through songs and games while they are in day care.

Then, at the age of seven, they begin formal academic studies. However, school hours are

short, and there isn’t much homework. There is also a mandatory 15-minute outdoor break for every hour of class.

In addition, there is only one mandatory standardized test in Finland, and….

Answers

• Korean

• Korean