Question
20 April

• Danish
  • Russian
Question about Russian

How do you say this in Russian? What words might a young child use to call her father?

In particular this is about children roughly 8-12 years old. What would be common for a child to call her father? In English I would use "Daddy", instead of "Dad", since young children tend to use that more often in English.

I noticed that in Russian there are two words that seem to be used. One is 'papochka' (папочка), and the other is 'papa' (папа). What is most common for this age range?

Also, is there any difference if there is a step-father or an adoptive (foster) father? If we assume the biological father is deceased, would a child call a step-father or adoptive father something else than above.

(I'm working on a novel that is in English, but the main character is in Russia, so that's why I am interested in words in Russian. I try to write with realism.)
Answers

• Russian

• Russian

• Russian

• Russian

• English (US) Near fluent
  • Russian

• Russian

• Russian

• English (US) Near fluent
  • Russian

• Russian

• Russian

• English (US) Near fluent
  • Russian

• Russian

• Russian

• English (US) Near fluent
  • Russian

• Russian

• English (US) Near fluent
  • Russian

• Russian

• Russian