What does My friends were all worried about what was popular, being with the ‘in’ crowd, mean?

16 Mar 2017

Native language
Japanese
Two-time cancer survivor Sean Swarner has already completed the extremely difficult 7-Summit Tour by climbing the highest mountain peaks on each of the seven continents — all with one functioning lung.

Now, the resilient 42-year-old is looking to become the first cancer survivor to conquer the demanding Explorer’s Grand Slam (a trek to both the poles, in addition to the 7-Summit Tour) by hiking the Arctic until he reaches the North Pole.

“I’m on the journey to accomplish something no one has ever done before, but also to use it as a vehicle to help people touched by cancer with hope,” Swarner, who has already been to the South Pole, tells PEOPLE. “I want to really make a difference in the world and show people what’s possible.”

Swarner was diagnosed with final stage four Hodgkin’s Lymphoma at the age of 13 and advanced Askin’s Sarcoma at the age of 16. He was given 14 days to live, and despite the odds, he survived.

“My friends were all worried about what was popular, being with the ‘in’ crowd, while I was fighting to stay alive,” says Swarner. “It completely changed my life.”

And now, he thrives on adventure.

Native language
English (US) Near fluent

Native language
Japanese
0