Question
26 May

• Simplified Chinese (China)
  • French (France)

Is this line only in sit-com or universal/applicable in real life? Is "What do you mean" really needed here?

A&B have been "friends" for a while, if not years, even now that they are located far away from each other. B has been eager to maintain the friendship by keeping in contact and offering help whenever possible, while A is kinda carefree or mindless in a way that A never initiates anything but being "polite" when meets B. Until one day…

A: Hey, how are you? Can I visit you? I'm in your city now.

B: You're being hilarious!

A: What do you mean?

B: Well, you haven't responded to my messages or calls for the last few months; you stood me up last time when we scheduled the meetup. Plus, you haven't paid back my money.

My question is, as the audience with omniscient perspective, I have learned that A had been mean(?) unkind(?) not a good friend to B, so could the lines JUST end with "You're being hilarious"? And understandable? What would you say if you were B? (other lines)

Is this line used like this in real life? I thought being hilarious is good. Or "funny" is better?

Based on the context, I could guess it's not really positive here when the previous episode showed that A always went to B for help when A needs it but rarely responds to B when B needs a favour.
Answers

• Simplified Chinese (China)

• Simplified Chinese (China)

• Simplified Chinese (China)

• Simplified Chinese (China)

Is this line only in sit-com or universal/applicable in real life?  Is "What do you mean" really needed here?

B: You're being hilarious!

A: What do you mean?