Question
25 Feb 2015

• Urdu

Can you proofread this story?

Quick Decisions
Author: Rizwan Ahmed Memon

In life, we make many decisions. Some for our career, some for our relationships, and some for our education. Decisions that are carefully decided, and made with consultancy from our elders, parents, or friends often prove to be right. Also, we sometimes make quick decisions which later on make us regretful. Rameez had made a quick decision of getting married, which he regretted later on in his life.

Soon after graduation, Rameez had tied the knot with his cousin, Jugnoo. She had not attended any school or college. Still she read and write in her mother tongue Sindhi. Jugnoo and Rameez were engaged to each other since their childhood. After the marriage, they soon had a son. It was a tradition in many families in rural cities of Sindh to decide who will be married to whom. This tradition of early engagement had been cause of many problems in the province.

Having no proper and consistent source of income, Rameez faced financial problems. He hardly could make four to five thousand rupees in a month, which were by no means enough. Due to the lack of money, Jugnoo often complained and quarreled with Rameez. “Why did you get married if you are unable to run the house? First you should have got a job. Because of your quick decision our child is suffering, too. I could starve, but I cannot see my three years old in this state,” she cried.

“Jugnoo, wait everything will be fine,” added Rameez.

“This is what you have been saying since the day we married. Now I cannot wait. Now I will have to do something for me and my son’s future,” Jugnoo stated.

“You think I don’t love my son? Am I not trying my hardest to find a good job?”

“See, Rameez. Now I cannot believe in your consoles anymore. Tomorrow, I am going to my parents, and I will take Rambo with me.”

“You are not going anywhere. Please try to understand. Just wait everything will be all right,” he implored.

Jugnoo was determined to leave the house. With Rameez she thought that their life was getting worse day by day. The next day, as Rameez came home in the evening, he found a letter hanging in the wall of the room. She had written in the letter, “I am sorry, Rameez. I am going to Karachi to my parents. I will return only when you have a good job and a house of your own. If you ever try to come to me, I will get divorce. I can take better care of my son than you, and my parents have enough money for us. You have given me nothing else, but hunger and agonies. Good bye.”

“May you always be happy wherever you are. I am an unlucky man,” he lamented.

Jugnoo was happy with her parents. Rambo was getting education, and his grandparents were delighted to have him. Poor Rameez worked in the factory the same way, and lived in that rented house for twenty five years.

When Rambo was twenty, he had become a good officer. One day, he said to his mother, “Mom, I want to see my father. I think you had made an impulsive decision when you had left him.”

“I don’t know whether he is alive or not,” added his mother.

“He is our family. How selfish we are that in this long period of time we never tried to contact him.”

“You are right, and it is all my fault,” agreed his mother.

“Tomorrow, we will go to Larkana and take him here,” said Rambo.

Thus, they decided to visit Rameez. The next day, they left for Larkana.

When Rambo and his mother reached the house, they were surprised to see a new house full of decorations. It looked like a bungalow. Jugnoo couldn’t believe it when she saw a beautiful woman coming from kitchen who was Rameez’s second wife, Samreen.

“Who are you and how did you enter the house?” Samreen asked them.

“You tell us who you are. This is our house,” replied Jugnoo. While they were talking, Rameez came from his office in his big car.

“Rameez, is it you?” Jugnoo surprisingly asked.

“Yes, it is me.” Who is he?

“This is Rambo our son. Rambo, meet your father.”

“Oh, my son! How long it has been since I saw you and held you in my arms. How tall you have become!” he murmured as Rambo hugged him.

“Samreen, she is Jugnoo, my wife, and this is my son,” said Rameez to Samreen.

“Hello, I am sorry. I behaved rudely. I didn’t know this,” she apologized to them.

“Rameez, how did this happen? How did you built this house? I mean how did you become rich?”

“It is a very simple story. The year you left me, right after that year I got a good job! I didn’t try to come to you because you had left me not I. Above all, you left me in my hard times.”

“Yes. I am very sorry for what I did. But why did you get married?”

“I am a man. I need a wife at home. Simple!”

Jugnoo became so ashamed, and she realized that instead of leaving her husband she should have stood by him in those difficult times. Jugnoo had to put up with Samreen. Rameez’s second wife was a lifelong punishment for her impulsive decision.

Jugnoo and Rambo decided to live with Rameez in that house in Larkana. One day when Rambo and his father were out for a walk, his father said to Rambo, “I am sorry I could not give you love that a father gives to his children. I am sorry I could not buy you gifts when you were a child. I am sorry I was not around when you had missed me. Oh, I wish I had seen you grow up. I wish I had played games with you. Oh, my dear son, I have always loved you and missed you. When your mother and I were no longer together, it didn’t mean I didn’t love you. Your mother had always quarreled with me. I was between jobs and was going through tough times. I tried to make your mother understand, but she didn’t listen to me at all. One day, as I came home, I found a letter in which she had threatened me of divorce if I ever came to you to Karachi. Little bit of quarrels take place between wife and husband, but when these quarrels grow into big conflicts, the children are affected the most. I am sorry for all that.”

Answers

• Urdu

• Urdu

• Urdu

• Urdu

• Urdu

• Urdu

• Urdu

• Urdu

• Urdu

• Urdu

• Urdu

• Urdu