Question

• Simplified Chinese (China)
  • French (France)
  • German
Question about Czech Republic

I spent this Christmas in Prague. Not the best experience, to be honest. :(

1. At a currency change place, a German family were speaking to the staff:"Zu wenig! Zu wenig Geld! Das stimmt nicht! (Too little! Too little money! That's not right!)" The two parents and the young boy obviously couldn't speak English, and the clerk kept shaking head and answering "I don't speak German." At last they left angrily, shouting "Betrug! (Deception!)" I asked them what had happened. The little boy turned around and told me that the money they got wasn't consistent with the EURO-CZK exchange rate at all. I wanted to help so I asked the clerk for explanation, but this time she pretended that she couldn't speak English.

2. At a restaurant, a table of fellow Chinese sitting next to me ordered some food just after I did, and the waiter told them to wait. But when I finished my dinner, their food was still unserved. One of them hurried the waiter. Minutes later the food was on. The waiter asked them where they're from. They said, China. And the waiter said scornfully:"Now I understand. Remember that you're not in your own country. Here when I tell you to wait, you wait." The racism flowed so strong with this one! Or is it really a typical Czech culture that you let your customer wait for over one hour, and then insult them with terrible attitude instead of apologising? Although it wasn't aimed at me, I still felt extremely uncomfortable that my people should be treated that way.

3. Now something I personally encountered. I ordered a chicken burger at a burger stand. The pedlar said something to me, but I didn't catch her because of her strong accent. So I said:"Pardon?" She repeated. "Sorry but I don't understand." Then she suddenly became furious and started shouting at me:"You don't understand me? Huh! You only understand CHICKEN! I don't understand you also!" That's so fucking rude. Was it my fault that she spoke shitty English? She should get better education rather than blaming others. Until now I still don't know why that woman was such an a-hole.

This is rather a complaint than a question. I wonder as a native Czech, have you ever felt unfairness and rudeness as well, or is it just because I'm a tourist that I experienced all those above? Prague is a beautiful city. It's such a shame that many people there are so unfriendly to foreigners. 💔

Answers

• Country or region Czech Republic

• Country or region Kazakhstan

• Country or region Czech Republic

• Country or region Czech Republic

• Country or region Kazakhstan

• Country or region Czech Republic

• Country or region Czech Republic

• Country or region China

• Country or region China

• Country or region Kazakhstan

• Country or region Czech Republic

• Country or region Kazakhstan

• Country or region China

• Country or region Czech Republic

• Country or region China

• Country or region Czech Republic