Question
27 Oct 2018

Hello. I'm wondering about the use of "whether." In some website explaining English grammar, I notice that it quotes an example sentence like,

I know whether you were sick.

To my sense, this seems to be weird in that "whether" is used in affirmative "know." From my experiences, I've seen this word used mostly in negative sentences, or sentences where the subject is not sure if something will happen, or happened. (Like, I want to know whether you were sick at that time.) However in this sentence, the subject "I" is sure that "you" were sick. In this case, I thought that the whether should be replaced with "that" instead, but is it right? Or is the original one is correct? Please give me some explanation.
Thank you.

Answers

• Traditional Chinese (Taiwan)

• Spanish (Mexico)

• Traditional Chinese (Taiwan)

I know whether you were sick.

Thank you.