Question
25 September

• Turkish
Question about Turkish

Hi! I would like to know the difference between these relative participles or relative clauses (they have many different names but it’s the same thing). These are the same as ‘that/which/who’ in the English language.

The first is the subject participle which ends in an/en (yan/yen) and I know that this can be used to express both the past or present tense.

The second is the object participle which ends in ‘dik/dık/duk/dük’ (or it could be tik/tuk etc because of consonant harmony). This can also be used to express the past or present tense which is what is confusing for me.

I’ve read many articles on this and I just can’t seem to grasp the difference between the subject and object participle and when to use them. Can anyone explain the difference and maybe a trick to help me know which to use in different contexts and sentences. Clear examples would also be really helpful.

Thank you for any help 😊 much appreciated!

Answers

• Turkish

• Turkish

• Turkish