Question
5 Oct 2021

• Indonesian
  • Malay
Question about Indonesian

"Pendidikan di Jepang sangat bagus." ("The education in Japan is very good.") -- A Duolingo fellow learner answered
"Pendidikan ITU di Jepang sangat bagus" instead,
and it was rejected by Duolingo. He is asking why. I found his question interesting and would like to make sure my understanding is correct on the two points:

1) The word order -- Does it sound natural to insert ITU between "pendidikan" and "di Jepang"?
2) Meaning -- Isn't "itu" redundant in this context?

Re: 1), I was taught that "itu/ini" is the tail end of a whole nominal phrase. For example,
"Orang yang membeli durian di pasar ITU adalah ibu saya." -- THAT person who bought a durian in the market is my mother. THAT is located in front of "person" in English, but ITU should be at the tail end of this long subject (nominal phrase).
For the same reason, inserting ITU in front of "di Jepang" sounds unnatural to me.

Re: 2), I believe, "Pendidikan di Jepang ITU sangat bagus" implies that there are more than one education services in Japan, and the speaker picks up a particular case only and describes its quality.
However, the original English sentence doesn't have such a connotation. The speaker actually generalizes the quality of education in Japan. It is a group noun. That's why I think inserting ITU is redundant and inappropriate in this context.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

The sentences in question are retrieved from Duolingo:
https://forum.duolingo.com/comment/28661875

The explanation about the word order is referred to Tokyo University of Foreign Studies' website:
http://www.coelang.tufs.ac.jp/mt/id/gmod/conten...
Answers

• Indonesian
  • Javanese Near fluent

• Indonesian
  • Javanese Near fluent

Correct me if I'm wrong.