Question
25 June

• French (France)
  • Korean

Do British people use “likely” as an adverb, as some American people do?

I have just read, on this app, an answer posted by an American person, which says : “This *likely* won't stop individuals seeking an abortion. It will most *likely* affect the poorest individuals the worst as they won't be able to visit a local hospital for the procedure anymore…”.

You can see two “likely” used here. According to my textbook, it should be “This won’t be likely to stop…” and “it will be most likely to affect…” respectively, since “likely” is an adjective, not an adverb. However, it also says “likely” is also used as an adjective in American English. Then how about British English? Do you think these use of “likely” are correct and natural? Thank you!

Answers

• Spanish (Spain)