Question
26 Jun 2022

• French (France)

Does this sound natural ? Could you check my English please.
----------------------------

“What is your religion?” – to us Japanese, this is a really confusing question. We would find it difficult to answer. One option is “I’m a Buddhist,” but actually it sounds a kind of strange to us, because “being a Buddhist” usually means being a Buddhist monk or nun in Japanese. We could possibly say “I do some practices which are based on the Buddhism teachings but I am not a Buddhist” if it makes sense. Still, it would sound strange because most of such practices are regarded as the daily custom rather than the religious practice to Japanese citizens. Therefore many are likely to asnwer “I do not hold to any particular religion,” but some says that answering so could causes a serious problem in some cultures. So what should I answer? In fact, what would you like to know by asking “what is your religion?”

Answers

• Vietnamese Near fluent

----------------------------