Question
17 August

• Arabic

Hi language lovers,
3 complicated questions

1."The weather report says it will /going to rain tomorrow"
We use "will" when we make predictions based on experiences or personal opinions. We use "going to" if there's evidence. Thus, in the above sentence "going to" should be the correct form since the report relies on signs /evidence to make the predictions. What do you say?

2. I found the following definition of "bayonet" in Online Cambridge dictionary :
" a long, sharp blade fixed on to a rifle"
Why " fixed on to " is used here? Is "on" a part of a phrasal verb? ( shouldn't it be "fixed to a rifle" or "fixed on a rifle"?)

3. I sometimes wonder how you natives can understand each other when the same word is used to express two opposite things :)
Example :
Gnarly =1. Gross 2. Excellent.
When I say "it's gnarly hair". How do you understand it? To be gross or excellent? 😄

Answers

• Arabic

• Arabic

Hi language lovers,
3 complicated questions

Example :
Gnarly =1. Gross 2. Excellent.