Question
25 Sep 2022

• Korean
  • German
  • Simplified Chinese (China)
Question about Korea, Republic Of

I have three questions pertaining to Korean high school life, as well as information about U.S school life.

1. After seniors take their CSATs / 수능, do they continue to go to school afterward? I've seen videos of some Koreans throwing their textbooks in the bin right before taking the test, saying that there's no use for them anymore, and I wasn't sure how true that was. In the U.S (or at least in Texas), we take our required SAT in October of senior year but continue going to school all the way until May/June.

The SAT is also administrated multiple times a year, so you can schedule to take/retake it many times to get the score you want. There's also the ACT, but I didn't take it. A lot of universities don't require the ACT, so if your SAT score is good, you don't have to bother with the ACT. Also, I didn't apply to any prestigious university, but if you want to go to one, definitely take the ACT. We still have tests and material to learn before the school year is up despite finishing these exams. We also take AP exams in May. AP courses are college-level classes you can take in high school, and if you pass your AP exam at the end of the year, it counts as college credit. A cheaper alternative to paying thousands upon thousands of dollars for general studies at a four-year university here. Most students get college acceptance letters in March or April.

2. What happens to students who fail the 수능? Do they have to retake senior year as well? Or just the test? Students who "fail" the SAT in the states usually just have a harder time getting into college, but as I said, if you fail one SAT, you can retake it at a later date. If you failed in October, you can do just fine in March. But you don't have to repeat school or anything, because your SAT test's grade is applied outside of your high school, if that makes sense.

3. I heard that if you miss the 수능, even by accident, they make you wait until next year before taking it again. What do people usually do during that time? Do colleges take Korean students even without a 수능 score?

also, my university (due to COVID) waived the SAT score entirely. It was optional to submit it. I still submitted mine anyway to try to increase my chances of getting accepted.
Answers

• Country or region Korea, Republic Of