Question
5 October

• Romanian

What is the meaning of "tend" here? I am familiar with the word, but for some reason I can’t really tell what meaning is intended here. Also, I am not sure what exactly this part of the sentence refers to: "[I] let my eyes flood with all the blue and gold they could hold." Here I understand all the words, but I am not sure what the blue and gold refer to.

Here is some context (the paragraph talks about the funeral of a vice admiral in the US Navy):

"I remember standing in the front of the chapel that day, overwhelmed at the prospect of trying to take everything in. My eyes drifted from the Navy ship hanging from the rafters, to the casket draped by the American flag, and over to the blazing white uniforms of the men who tended him. I listened to admirals testify about his life and let my eyes flood with all the blue and gold they could hold. I sang the hymns with broken gusto until my voice fully gave way to sobs somewhere in the middle of “A Mighty Fortress Is Our God.” What is it about these old hymns that tether you to the past while anchoring you in the hope of heaven—they have that indefinable quality."
Answers

• Romanian