Question
5 October

• Korean
Question about United States

How do you say 상주 가사 도우미 in English?

상주 가사 도우미 means a domestic helper who lives with their employer at their house, which is really really rare in Korea. Almost no one in Korea has 상주 가사 도우미. Since I didn't know how to say this correctly in English, I used "a residing domestic helper" when I explained this job to a foreigner, but I think it's incorrect. I'd like to know what this job is called in English speaking countries like America. By the way, a maid is totally different from 상주 가사 도우미. 하녀, a Korean translation of maid has a very similar nuance of a servant, and 하녀(maid) is not used in Korea to refer to a domestic helper. There is no 하녀 in modern Korea.

Answers

• Country or region United States

• Country or region Korea, Republic Of

• Country or region United States

• Country or region Korea, Republic Of

How do you say 상주 가사 도우미 in English?

상주 가사 도우미 means a domestic helper who lives with their employer at their house, which is really really rare in Korea. Almost no one in Korea has 상주 가사 도우미. Since I didn't know how to say this correctly in English,  I used "a residing domestic helper" when I explained this job to a foreigner, but I think it's incorrect. I'd like to know what this job is called in English speaking countries like America. By the way, a maid is totally different from 상주 가사 도우미. 하녀, a Korean translation of maid has a very similar nuance of a servant, and 하녀(maid) is not used in Korea to refer to a domestic helper. There is no 하녀 in modern Korea.