Question
5 October

• Spanish (Mexico)

What would be the meaning of "hold" in the phrase "get a hold of (something)"? Correct me if I'm wrong: I'd assume that "hold" refers to "come into contact with (something, whether it be an idea, concept, etc.)" because you're "ABLE" to metaphorically "grasping" it for whatever reason. So if you grasp a hold of X, you kind of understand/comprehend it maybe?
Do you agree with this? What do you think of this phrase? You can show me some examples you'd use on a daily basis as well so I can better "picture" the idea.
P.S.: I came across the phrase "that's a bizarre concept for me to grasp a hold of "

Answers

• Spanish (Mexico)