Question
30 Nov 2022

Question about Japan

I’m visiting Japan for 2 weeks during Sakura. I am learning Japanese and will work to speak and read where possible. I lost my vocal cords to thyroid cancer and my voice sounds deep and coarse. My concern is that my voice is going to sound abrasive to people.

I want to be more immersed and engaged with locals. I’m traveling alone and thinking of making a small card with brief info about my voice. How do you think this would come across? I’m open to other ideas. I understand local people may be embarrassed to practice English with English speakers, but I’d really like to meet people while I’m there to help with this. I just don’t want to scare anyone! Any input welcome.

I have clear face masks so that people can read my lips easily.

Answers

• Country or region Japan

• Country or region United States

• Country or region Japan

• Country or region United States

• Country or region Japan

• Country or region United States

• Country or region Japan