Question
6 Jan 2016

I have a question about the word"quite". Do you use this word when you want to say very?
For example:
This ship has quite(very) a long history.
When I asked my English teacher who is from London, he said," this usage is rare because it sounds old- fashioned. "Also he said" the word 'quite' has two meanings; fairly and very. And now when we use quite, that usually means fairly."
But... I suppose the word"quite" USUALLY( not always) means "very" at least in American English though I agree that quite has two meanings.Not sure. If you are a native speaker of English, I'd like you to let me know what u think about this.

Answers
Deleted user

Deleted user

Deleted user

Deleted user

Deleted user

For example: